Thursday, September 13, 2018

2D Assignment - Value

This assignment had us focus on the use of value, or the balance between light and dark, in a composition. We were given line art by the artist Frank Frezetta, whose artwork encompasses studies of the human figure in dynamic postures and settings.


I chose to work with the image above, as there appears to be an emphasis on value within the line work itself already. However, I wished to shift the light in another direction from that implied.


To begin, I added some basic grey-scale shading to the background and figures of the man and lion.


Next I included a gradient to portray a transition from light to dark, and darker shading on the figures to emphasize the shadows.


Finally, I included lighter highlights hitting the figures, as well as over the line art itself. This way the focus is greater on the value than the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment